Friday 23 December 2022

Rana's 2023 Events - RP-lite storytelling on the Laurelin server of LOTRO

During the year I run social RP-lite storytelling events on the Laurelin server of The Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG. I usually host as my main character Ranatuor along with my 2nd account character Heimdalli (a captain) to help get players to the locations. There may be a few surprise guest hosts along the way.



What is RP-Lite?

Laurelin is a roleplay-encouraged server where groups of players gather to create and tell stories together, outside of the main game mechanics. Players creatively roleplay (RP) their own stories on the landscape. Even before my time on Laurelin, when on the Gilrain server I created events aimed at being more social whilst having storytelling elements. I dubbed these “RP-lite” so as to differentiate from the high-end RP that can happen on Laurelin.

So my events often have storytelling at their core whilst also being social and open to non-RP players – basically inclusive events for the diverse community we have on Laurelin. Some players may RP at my events, and that is welcome and encouraged, whilst others may come for the social aspect and hear a story.

Themes

You’ll notice a lot of my events either take cues from Tolkien and his life or from real life themes or events, remade to fit into Middle-earth. A lot of my events feature nature (animals/landscape) as protagonists or key elements of the storytelling. I often get inspired by local or historical events and then rewrite them to suit Middle-earth lore – for example Squirrel Appreciation Day has been rewritten as a tale from the point of view of a squirrel, talking to Radagast, about certain events from the Hobbit.

Events are placed in (colour-coded) seasonal groups: Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn.

The 2023 Events

I’ll be hosting from various locations in the various housing areas on specially-designed “stages” and occasionally on the landscape. My events are generally all-welcome, some will occasionally be run on a RSVP invitation.

I will be continually writing more events as the year progresses.
Below are the current events being run in 2023, more will be added as I write them.



>> click banner to open page <<

>> click banner to open page <<

>> click banner to open page <<

>> click banner to open page <<

>> "The Song of Beren and LĂșthien" - more info soon <<

4 October
NostalelindalĂ« (“Music of Nature”)
RP-Lite storytelling event influenced by World Animal Day

5 November
What the Bree Town rat saw: “Fawkes! The undoing of Gubzugoy the Unready”
RP-Lite storytelling event based on the story Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot of 5th November 1605.

More to come! This was the 2020-2021 schedule to give you an idea of what other events may happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment