Saturday 20 March 2021

Ronald Dwale’s Big Read! (aka Tolkien Reading Day) – Thursday 25 March 2021

 

Tolkien in his study at Oxford, 2 December 1955.

Ronald Dwale’s Big Read! (aka Tolkien Reading Day)

Every year on the 25th March, the Tolkien Society runs the Tolkien Reading Day, an event to celebrate and promote the life and works of J.R.R. Tolkien. The date chosen is when Frodo completed his quest, the Ring was destroyed and Sauron was vanquished. Attendees of the event are invited to recite their favourite passage from Tolkien’s work.

This year I hope we can do the same on Laurelin, let’s join together to show our appreciation of the creator of Middle-earth and share our love of his work. I invite you to choose a favourite passage, poem or other selection and join us at the Bird and Baby Inn, Michel Delving, to sit around the fireplace and recite his words. The Bird and Baby seems the best place to do this event, since this is the favourite place of writer Ronald Dwale (J.R.R. Tolkien) and his friends. In real life the Inklings would go to the Eagle and Child in Oxford to sit and tell each other stories.

Details

  • Date: Thursday 25th March 2021
  • Time: 8.30pm GMT (4.30pm /servertime – 16.30 EST)
  • Location: Bird and Baby Inn, Michel Delving, the Shire

This is considered a RP-lite event – RP is welcome (and encouraged) but is not essential or required.

This event could be long or short (if it ends up just me), depending on how many people have a passage to read. I will read my own chosen passage then open the floor to any takers. All are welcome to read their chosen passage.

To the readers: You may choose any passage you so wish from Tolkien’s works – including poems or even one of his letters. So it doesn’t necessarily have to be lore. Do not worry if we get repeats, this is about words that matter to you. Since this is a shared event, please try not to choose something too long.

I use the LOTRO plugin Lyrical for my storytelling, it makes set-up and performing a lot less stressful and has proven extremely useful. I highly recommend investigating that as a method of performance delivery, though in the past I have successfully run events just using copy/paste. Note I can help explain how to use it before the event, but not on the day or during the event.

For my passage, I am going to read from J.R.R. Tolkien's Unfinished Tales, the meeting of Tuor, my namesake in LOTRO, and Ulmo, Lord of Waters. Tuor, dressed in the armour and weapons of Turgon, would be guided onwards to Gondolin and his fate,

I originally had another tale (but linked) in mind to tell on Tolkien Reading Day, but I am saving that for a later date. I'll leave the details of what I originally posted below:

I am digging deep into the legend of Tuor, my namesake, with a really early poem of Tolkien called “The Horns of Ylmir.” Three versions were written between 1914 and 1917, the third being composed whilst Tolkien was at Roos – the same place where Edith danced for him in a glade and led to the Tale of Beren and Luthien.

I hope to see you there!

-- Ranatuor

Ulmo, Lord of the Waters” by John Howe (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment